What Is Paper Straw ?
What are paper straws made of ?
Paper straws are typically made of 3-5 layers food grade paper, and may use a small amount of water-based glue, printing ink and other raw materials as well.
The paper can be completely degraded by microorganisms in nature, and finally produce carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O), which will directly enter the soil and become organic matter to be absorbed by plants. It will not cause the greenhouse effect and will not pollute the environment. Originated from nature, attributed to nature.
How are paper straws manufactured ?
Manufacturing paper straws is a completely different process to producing plastic straws. The full process of the production of paper straws includes paper printing, slitting, paper straws production. According to the needs and design, the paper straw can be bended and oblique cutted. Finally, it will be packaged individually or multi pieces together in one bag.
In the process of production, it is typically constructed of 3 plies of paper, the plies are bonded together with a small amount of glue. But our paper straw production equipment can produce non-glue paper straws, which are more healthy and environmentally friendly, more suitable for high temperature hot drinks.
Are paper straws more expensive than plastic ?
Paper straws currently cost is higher than plastic straws. Not only is the initial cost of paper straws currently higher, but because paper straws are not as durable or long lasting as plastic straws, it often causes customers to ask for more than one straw.
Generally speaking, the cost of paper straws is 5-10 times higher than that of plastic straws. However, the cost of a single paper straw is still very low, generally only a few cents, and the burden on consumers is not significantly increased.
In comparison, the damage of plastic pollution is very large and irreversible. Even if it is treated, the cost is still very high and the effect is not obvious. Taken together, the use of plastic straws is the most “expensive”, so the promotion of the use of paper straws is of great significance to human health and environmental protection.
So as an alternative to plastic straws, are paper straws really more environmentally friendly than plastic straws ?
The generally answer is yes. In terms of environmental protection, paper straws better than plastic.
1. As we all know, plastic straws have a lot of bad impact on the environment. What is more prominent at the moment is that plastic straws are used in large quantities and have low recycling value, so the recycling amount is small, and it is easy to leak into the environment, which is harmful to marine life and the ecological environment.
2. While using paper straws as a substitute can help solve this problem. On the one hand, the paper material is natural, non-toxic, highly breathable, and will not release any substances harmful to human health. On the other hand, the degradation rate of paper in the natural environment is faster than that of plastics. Paper straws are biodegradable. After use, it can be completely decomposed by microorganisms after 3-6 weeks, and it will not cause any impact on the environment. After leakage, there will be less pollution to the ocean, it’s much less likely to be harmful to marine animals.
So are there any disadvantages to paper straws
In fact, paper straws can still have many negative environmental effects, especially if they are improperly disposed. And paper straws itself also have shortcomings, however, paper straws will generally still be less harmful than plastic.
1. Do paper straws get soggy ?
The short answer is yes, paper straws can get soggy before a drink is finished. But only if they’re manufactured poorly. The higher the quality of the paper, glue, and the straw’s structural design, the longer they’ll survive in liquid.
Compared with plastic straws, the consumer experience is really not good at this point, which is why paper straws are more repelled in many usage scenarios.
2. Do paper straws have glue ?
In the straw market, normally paper straws contain food-grade glue to helps the paper straw maintain its shape for a few hours of use while also being biodegradable and food-safe.
And our paper straw machine can produce both glue-containing and glue-free straws. Among them, the glue-free ones can withstand 100 degrees of high temperature, and there are no harmful substances released.
3. Do paper straws have chemicals ?
We should know that some other material will be used besides paper, such as few glue will be used to paste the paper, and also the paper will be printed to get colorful outlook, both the glue and ink are chemical material which are not 100% environmental friendly.
Paper and other plant-based straws contain per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, according to a new analysis. As consumers turn to alternatives to single-use plastic, drinking straws made of plant-based materials like paper are coming into wider use, and many are marketed as biodegradable or even compostable.
4. Are paper straws bad for your health?
While it’s true that paper straws aren’t as harmful as plastic straws, this doesn’t mean that they aren’t harmful at all.
The main raw material of paper straws is food grade paper, which is natural and harmless to the people. However, glue and printing ink may be used in the production process, they are chemical raw materials, which may have certain adverse effects on the human body.
The advantage for glue free paper straw
1. Save time, the glue free straws can be packed once finished and no need waiting dry, and wou’t be moldy in 2 years;
2. Idea choice for hot liquid drinking, even in 100 degree, it is not easy getting soggy and soft, no strong smell, the most important that is environmentally friendly and healthy;
3. By using same quality paper, our paper straw making machine can make the glue free paper straws with higher hardness;
4. Can save the gluer device cost and glue cost, no need worry about the weather and coating process, easy for operation.
Now, paper straws have their pros and cons. But when you understand the risks of disposable plastic straws and consciously say no to them, you have made your own contribution to our blue planet, for yourselves and the descendants of this planet. Compared with environmental protection actions such as a completely zero-waste life or maintaining low-carbon travel, using an environmentally friendly paper straw seems to be the easiest and most relaxing choice.
If you would like to start paper straw business, buying the correct machine which can produce both normal paper straw and glue free paper straw is necessary. You can check the paper straw making machine details now, or can contact with us directly by clicking the button below.